Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Low down on the stores

The list of stores I am going to give information about are stores that I shop at that I know about. If I hear of deals of freebies from stores not around me I will post those as well. Just remember that I wont have necessarily tried it to see if it really works or not. It will just be what I heard word of mouth.

Also remember that if you don't live in my town, your stores policies may vary so you should check your store to see if they are the same or different. For instance, the Rite Aid in my town does not accept internet printed manufacturers coupons. I know other people who have had no problem using these at their Rite Aid.

Any store that has a card that you can sign up for is a must have. This is usually what gives you the great deals with the stores.

CVS
ECB= Extra Care Bucks

The way free things are obtained in this store are through your extra care bucks. There are certain things you purchase in CVS that give you extra care bucks. Basically extra care bucks are a gift card to the store. They are printed at the end of your receipt and can only be used with the CVS care card you made your purchase with. You can learn what purchases earn you extra care bucks in the weekly CVS flyer that is in the Sunday paper. If you are from my town, I have yet to get the CVS flyer in our Sunday paper. I have gotten the flyer from the Erie or Pittsburgh paper. They always have them in the store as well. I'm not sure if these come out every month, so when I find out I will let you know, but June has a booklet for the entire month of items in CVS that earn you extra care bucks. You do have to earn extra care bucks to take advantage of the freebies, but you can even do that for free. In the June extra value book, if purchase either Listerine smart rinse or the value pack of Oral B tooth brushes, you get what they cost back in extra care bucks. Image and video hosting by TinyPic. Heck, I can even make you money on this deal. First off the limits for these purchases are higher now than what they say. Their limit is four. This is a great way to start your extra care bucks if you don't have any yet because I am going to make you some money. Purchase two packs of toothbrushes (6.99x2=13.98) and two bottles of listerine(3.49x2=6.98). 13.98+6.98=20.96. Sign up on their website for their email offers and you get $4 off your $20 purchase coupon mailed to you and now your total is $16.96 and you now have $20.96 in ecb to play with. And voila, it is as easy as that! Now you have to remember a few things about your extra care bucks. Your extra care bucks should print out one slip for 6.98 (the mouth wash's ecb's) and another slip for 13.98 (the mouthwashes ecb's). Now say you go into CVS the next day and you want to use buy two more mouthwashes and two more toothbrushes because the limit is four. This time you want to use your extra care bucks instead of cash now that you have care bucks. Your total again will be 20.96-4=16.96. The only problem with this is that your total has to be equal or more than your extra care bucks you are paying with. Since you are paying with a 6.98 ecb and 13.98 and that totals 20.96 and your register is 16.96 So what do you do? Buy two packs of the 40ct CVS sheer bandaides that cost 1.99 each, but give you 1.99 back each in ecb. (The limit on these is 3 btw) Your total is still only 20.94 so you are two cents short. So buy the Powerade on sale for $1 and use your 75 cents off coupon that was in the Sunday paper. You owe the cashier 23 cents and you get 24.94 back in ecb's!

Rite Aid

SCR=single check rebate

Not so many deals at Rite Aid, but when you do find a freebie, you usually have to use a coupon and/or their single check rebate. Like I stated earlier, my Rite Aid does not accept internet manufacturer's coupon's. If you do not live in my town, you should check your Rite Aid to see if their policy is different. They do however take coupons that come directly from Rite Aid's website. You should read about the SCR's specifics from Rite Aid's website, but I am going to explain as best I understand. If I am wrong please correct me. Every month Rite Aid has rebate offers that are similar to a mail in rebate. You save your receipt and can redeem them online. It is called single check rebate because you can only put one single order in per month. You can have multiple receipts, but you can only receive one check for the total of all the rebates you have. So if you have four receipts for the month of may and go to get redeem your rebates and forget about one of your receipts and request your check you are out of luck. That is my understanding, but I would of course always call customer service if something like that happened.


Giant Eagle
Ok before I say anything about Giant Eagle's deals inside the store I must say take advantage of the fuelperks! I have a friend who buys everything she can in gift cards in the store for fuelperks. She eats at Applebee's, she buys a gift card from Giant Eagle first. She buys something from Home Depot, she gets a gift card first. Think she is crazy? She hasn't had to pay for gas in her TRUCK for nine months!

Their ads do not run Sun-Sat like most, but Thu-Wed.

Another cool thing about Giant Eagle is they double manufacturer's coupons up to .99 (not $1.00.. don't learn the hard way like I did!) For example, I had a 50 cents off coupon for Ivory soap that I got in the 6/1/08 newspaper and their Ivory soap was .99, so I made a penny!

My Giant Eagle takes internet coupons, but again double check with your store.

Lastly if you register your Giant Eagle card on their website they have deals you can load onto your card! The coupon is automatically deducted from your total when you use your card and you can use a manufacturer's coupon with the deal from their website! I just load all of the deals onto my card because Giant Eagle takes the deals off of their website before they expire. So if a sale comes up or you find a coupon and you go back to Giant Eagle's website, it might not be available any longer.

Walmart
Accepts internet coupons. Here is a link to their corporate policy. Print it out and keep it with your coupon book. If you ever are given any troubles show them their policy. Since Wal-mart is so cheap already most of the deals I have found are from coupons that make their already low priced things free.

Target
Accept manufacturer's coupons along with their own store coupons. If you watch carefully, you can get free things once in awhile!

Kmart
They sometimes have good deals on diapers and kids clothes, but not for free. I have heard they aren't coupon friendly period. For their prices and the price of gas, I haven't wasted my time trying to find out.

Quality Markets

Doubles manufacturer's coupons up to .99. Honestly I don't find too much here very often, but I thought the coupon doubling was worth mentioning.

Dollar General
I have heard they accept manufacturer's coupons. I haven't tried them out yet. Will report back when I know more.

Wegmans
I don't live close to this store so I wont have too much to report here, but I have heard you can get great coupons in the mail from them depending on where you live. I so wish I lived closer to one!

Walgreen's
Coming soon!

No comments: